Sunday, October 29, 2006

Nothing like a bum back to slow you down a bit...

Oy. I've spent the last 3 days doing pretty much nothing at all, trying to be easy on my back. Seriously - this move to the other hemisphere has done a number on me. No-one told me I needed to do hard-core training to get ready for such a move. I wish they had... this is pretty sucky. (I have a sneaking suspicion it's stress, in physical manifestation - although I don't know if that makes it easier to deal with.) I woke up Wednesday morning and basically couldn't move, my back was so stiff. I made it to work and they sent me home, so I went to a physio... the nice thing here - physios are primary caregivers, so I was in the capable hands of a physio by 2:30 that afternoon, rather than having to wade through initial apts in the Kaiser system to eventually get referred to someone who would likely have given me drugs rather than actually massage and work on the area in need. I was sent home for lots of rest and reminders to STRETCH, STRETCH, and oh yeah - STRETCH. Apparently my knee stuff is directly related to the amount of stretching I'm doing for my quads and my IT band... because I haven't been stretching, my patellar tendons are in fact being pulled away from their insertion point at the tibia by the quad muscles. (Or maybe it's inversely related - more stretching = less pain). In any event - I feel a bit like a dunce, and having to move slowly doesn't help the feeling.

I say again, oy. I've watched 6 movies in the last couple of days - from really good (Match Point, Goal) to torturous (Elizabethtown - so much potential - I don't know what went wrong) to much needed brain candy (Just My Luck and The Perfect Man). Went over to Jen's house tonight to watch The Notebook - broke down in tears at the end. I just can't even imagine the toll senile dementia can take on a relationship.

I think all this time sitting around has been good... gives me a chance to think over things. But if I think too hard I realize what I've left behind and how difficult it is to start OVER afresh. But then I'm reminded that it's exciting to start over, and there's so much just waiting for me. If I could get to the door without whinging. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home