Monday, November 20, 2006

bits and pieces

Some entries for the glossary:
doona = comforter (or duvet, depending on your preference)
bitumen = asphalt
thongs = flip-flops
bogan = redneck/someone from the country
'far out': commonly used slang - I'd probably say weird in its place

My co-worker Jenny was telling me that her new spin instructor is from Kentucky and played "Georgia On My Mind" in their class the other day. It makes me a bit sad to think about hearing that song over here - I'm glad I didn't hear it, I probably would've shed a tear. Weird, huh?

Had a 4 hour brunch on Sunday with some new friends. It was quite nice if a bit tiring... for one thing, a marathon brunch is unusual at home - they are too busy trying to get the next table seated to let you linger that long!

And as much as it's great to get out and interact with people - it's tiring being a novelty and an unknown. People are naturally curious and I try to oblige, but to be honest I don't think too much about the subtle differences between here and home, or the things I miss the most, or the things I don't like about Canberra. I'm here now and I'm trying to live here...in this moment - which means I don't spend a whole lot of time thinking about those types of things. I can think about them when I'm asked too... but brunch this weekend made me miss being with people that know me really well... people that can appreciate my sarcasm (sarcasm doesn't go over very well here) and people that make me laugh as much as I make them laugh. I really miss that.

And it's weird to constantly defend my being in Canberra... even in Sydney, perfect strangers looked aghast when I told them where I was living. Which I can sort of understand since they live in Sydney.. but I'm very happy to be in Canberra. It's the right size, speed, and feel for me right now. I need to come up with a one-liner to say to people... something other than "it's where the job was".

Because to be perfectly honest - I really like Canberra. On my bike ride the other morning I was in city center one minute and then 15 minutes later I was in pasture surrounded by cows. And I can actually ride my bike to work, which I did this morning, and not feel like I'm taking my life in my hands or that I'm inhaling only smog. And I can hear myself think here, which is priceless in my eyes.

So. I'm feeling a bit defensive, but it's hard to be an unknown that people are trying to figure out when I'm doing the same thing myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home