Saturday, November 25, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving!



This is it - the pumpkin pie I made, from SCRATCH. Not too shabby, if I do say so myself! It was quite an adventure, creating pumpkin puree from a whole pumpkin. I used a buternut pumpkin and it was exactly the same as Libby's canned pumpkin. There was a slightly different flavor - maybe the pumpkin was a bit stronger - but other than that, the pie tasted jut like I expected. And real pumpkin is very orange... my kitchen looked like an orange, well, pumpkin, had exploded all over it. I used my blender, since I don't have a food processor, and it took some time, but eventually I got smooth puree.

With the leftover puree I made a pumpkin soup - not too bad... not that'd I'd ever serve it to anyone else, but I really liked it!

I took it into work and everyone really enjoyed it. They'd never had pumpkin pie before and I think they all really liked the spices - maybe they were just expecting plain pumpkin? That wouldn't be too yummy - it definitely needs the spice mix.



Last night I went over to my friend Emily's house and she cooked a roast - beef and veggies. We (her boyfriend, her, and I) watched the second Harry Potter and had dinner. It was a perfect way to celebrate my own Thanksgiving, so far away from all my loved ones.

I had woken up at 4am my time on Friday morning, trying to watch a bit of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade - there's a fed of NBC Today at 4am on our NBC affiliate... but on Friday morning it wasn't there...it was an infomercia for losing weight. Not fun. So I was tired and cranky for the beginning part of Friday. But I did get to talk to all my family (I LOVE Skype!) so that was good. I vicariously enjoyed Thanksgiving dinner, football and shopping through them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home