Monday, January 29, 2007

Steve Irwin

WIN television (one of the 5 free TV channels in Oz) showed Steve Irwin's
last documentary, "Ocean's Deadliest" tonight. It aired in the US late
last week and tonight was the airing down here. I watched it,
fascinated. Sure, I was curious about how they'd handle the whole "Oy.
Steve just died" moment, but after the first minute I was hooked for
its own merit. Steve Irwin did some amazing work. Watching him on tape
interact with these animals was mesmerizing. In many of the specials
I've seen or interviews I've read, people always mention Steve's
rapport with the animals. And you can see it through the camera. It's
amazing.

I can't even listen to him talk without choking up
and getting tears in my eyes. And I'm a johnny-come-lately to the ranks
of Steve fans. Terri Irwin is on TV every now and then and she too
brings tears to my eyes. She's so strong, she's so genuine and so
grateful and full of love. It's truly a warmth you can feel through the
TV. What a love they must have shared.



The documentary doesn't mention Steve's death,
except at the end, when the credits are rolling, and they have a
picture of him and it says "To the memory of Steve Irwin".

In the brief glimpses of Steve I've seen on TV I've been struck by his genuine-ness.
He unabashedly loved his job and had such a passion and excitement
about the work he did. I would have loved to have seen a show of his
live. As it is, the Australia Zoo is near the top of my list of places
to see while I'm down here. His enthusiasm for everything is something
to emulate.

WIN television is airing a special tonight, "Crikey! What an adventure!". I'm watching it with my box of tissue handy.

Find out more about the Australia Zoo's conservation society, The Wildlife Warriors here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home