Thursday, January 04, 2007

Vacation Moment #4

Holding a koala

On our 4th day in Cairns, we took a dayrip to Kuranda, a small town in the tropical rainforest outside of Cairns. We took a skyrail over the rainforest to Kurunda, and a train back down to Cairns after our day. It was really neat to be in a rainforest after having spent the last 2 days on the ocean. Given that this whole area of North Queensland is a World Heritage Area, it's not surprising that everything was amazing. But it all was! The rainforest was really cool.



In Kurunda we'd been given advice, through Hoov, to visit the Kurunda Koala ardens, where you can hold a koala and see lots of other Aussie animals. For $15 I got to hold Hogan (love that Aussie sene of humor!) for about 5 minutes.

He weighed about what Spencer weighed the last time I held him, had very dense fur that was coarser than I thought, and smelled of eucalyptus. Phat Pantz held Hogan after I did and said that Hogan farted in her hands. It smelled like eucalyptus. He he. A koala fart. That makes me laugh.



Outside the area where we held the koalas were a whole bunch of others - this one was my favorite... "I'm so tired, I'm just going to sleep here. In the fork of the tree. Don't bother me. It's exhausting eating leaves all day."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home