Wednesday, December 16, 2009

song memory

I know it's not news to anyone that songs, like smells, can trigger strong memories.

I'm listening to 'Sex on Fire' this morning, and I swear that I can stand up and turn around and be by the lake in Yarralumlma on a warm sunny day, just lazing on a towel with a sausage sandwich, or driving around Canberra with the radio cranked and the windows open, singing at the top of my lungs. I can see the trees, the leaves, feel the grass, smell the air, feel the brightness of the sun, hear the magpies, hear the laughter of KV and re-capture that feeling of absolute freedom and love. It's crazy to know that in reality, when I open my eyes, it's a drizzly and grey day in Atlanta, and I'm at a desk writing.

I don't want to lose the memories and the strong feelings associated with this song. So do I just not play it anymore?

I'm so happy to have these memories and I wouldn't trade them for anything, but it's bittersweet that they are just that now. Memories. Not my daily life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home