Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Lost in Transition

Not an original title - in fact I stole it from a triathlon t-shirt website I was browsing yesterday. But it aptly describes me at the moment... and I'd prefer to be lost in a tri transition than a life transition, although they are very similar. End of metaphor.

It's been 4 weeks back in Atlanta now. I'm finding it tough to get going at work, and tough to find a connection somewhere. My initial momentum carried me through to now and I sense I'm stalling. While it's been great to see old friends, they all have lives that have existed sans Katie for a while now, so I don't actually just slip back into those lives. It'll take some effort.

It doesn't matter what I did before, who I knew before... I am here and now, so I need to focus on that. Be open to different atlanta experiences. Which sort of means I need to be pro-active. Which takes effort.

I'm focusing on just relaxing and going with the flow, trying to be gentle (there's a concept) in my expectations of myself. It's to be expected that there is culture shock and I can definitely see that. Work culture is so different, more isolating here. It is only the first month, but in a cubicle world there are no morning teas, no morning or afternoon coffees. I'm finding it hard to focus on work when that's all there is from 9-6.

I'm feeling a bit whiny. More whiny than I probably actually feel...but it's what I feel like expressing right now.

Ack.

1 Comments:

At 6:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think I could go without morning/afternoon teas/coffees again. So civilized! Maybe you need to introduce your coworkers to the concept. Americans, so work, work, work. ; )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home