Thursday, September 28, 2006

ARGH.

Okay - this is a venting post. I'm just a little frustrated today over here. Down here. Whatever. Take this with a grain of salt. (Which I can't even do, because I'm still living in a hotel with no salt of my own.)

  • A checking account (in US terms) is a savings account here. A savings account (in US terms) is a chequeing account here.
  • There are fees for EVERY piece of banking that you do. Transferring money. Setting up direct debit. Setting up bill pay. Breathing.
  • Some real estate agents require you to use direct debit and then the bank charges $4 for each direct debit that's made on your account. What?
  • Trying to book a taxi is ridiculous. There is one company and they recently invested in an automated speech recognition system. One that apparently can't understand my American accent. Although I'm sure the accent along with the fact that I can't pronounce anything correctly doesn't make it easy to understand me. You try these names... Narrabundah, Jerrabomberra, Furzer, Lymenham, Woden, Manuka, Eyre. Now say them clearly in an Australian accent. Nice, well done.
  • Every piece of property here is managed by a real estate agent - which means you don't deal directly with owners. Which means you are prey to the whims of the real estate agent. And they have exhibitions (open homes) for 15 (yep, 15) minutes. About 20 people show up, look at the place and then submit an application that the owner peruses and then selects their favorite. I'm finally putting cover letters on the applications to explain my situation. And that I OWN a house in Atlanta for goodness sake.

Other differences I've noted. Not really things that make me crazy, but are different:

  • They drive on the other side of the road. I know that seems a bit obvious, but it still is hard to wrap my head around. So, every time I step out I'm looking both ways like a bobble head that's lost its marbles.
  • Lots of things have different names - the movie Airplane is called Flying High. Burger King is Hungry Jack's.
  • McDonald's has McCafe, which serves espresso drinks and pastries. I haven't been in one yet, but I may have to check it out, as weird as the concept seems.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home