Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Ah the memories...

So this past weekend, I bought the first seasons of 90210 and Melrose Place. Yay!

I've started with 90210 and I'm just working my way through the season. It's a bit painful for the first couple of episodes, I can't even believe that it made it for a full season! Let me see if I can recap for you... for those of you who can't remember...

In the first 14 episodes, Brandon and Brenda et al have encountered more than the average teen... Brandon alone has dated a teen mom and successfully talks her out of giving her son up for adoption, has been with Steve when his car was stolen by 'older women', resuscitates a surfer girl he just met, gets arrested for drunk driving, and contemplates the cheating (oh horror). Brenda, on the other hand, has saved a girl from repeated date rapes, has been arrested for shoplifting, has made glamorous jeans from scratch to fit in, and has started her tumultuous relationship with Dylan.

It's really quite funny to watch these episodes again after so many years... I can't believe that we watched this in high school. Every single episode has a message. I don't think Laguna Beach works on the same premise.

My favorite thing so far is the episode about the Walsh's maid's niece who uses the Walsh's address to enroll in West Beverly High so as to escape the horrors of East LA. It's hard to believe that she's a down and out as she claims to be when she's wearing Guess jeans! Oh the fights I had with my mom back in the day over a stupid triangle on the butt of my jeans!!!!

My other favorite part is Donna... it's so obvious that she's been given a role because of her dad - I think her first line comes in the 4th episode, "Oh my gosh, I put both contacts in the same eye!" In the last episode she said that she wanted to "be a hooker so that she could meet Richard Gere." Nice role model.

Anyway - with the marathon of 90210 I'm feeling like I'm in a time warp. So on the bus ride home today I listened to my 'Katie's 80s' playlist - Tiffany, Debbie, and Belinda. It's great. Its nice to escape reality into the early 90s sometimes!



UPDATE: The episode I'm watching tonight had a guest cameo from Debbie Gibson herself! I love the early 90s!!!!

1 Comments:

At 6:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recently watched the episode with Brandon saving the surfer girl. It was difficult to watch. I was probably most uncomforatable with the idea that we purposefuly dressed like them at one point in our lives. Ahhh, the memories.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home