Sunday, March 25, 2007

Capsicum versus Bell Pepper



Every time I call a bell pepper a pepper I get strange looks. In Oz, bell peppers are called capsicums. I've tried to argue that I'm just as right in calling a 'capsicum' a pepper', but to no avail.

I went to Wikipedia:

"The name given to the fruits varies between English-speaking countries.

In Australia, New Zealand and India, heatless species are called "capsicums" while hot ones are called "chilli/chillies" (double L). The term "bell peppers" is rarely used, usually in reference to C. annuum and other varieties which look like a "capsicum" or bell but are fairly hot.

In the United Kingdom, Ireland, and Canada, the heatless varieties are called "peppers", "sweet peppers" or "capsicums" (or "green peppers," "red peppers," etc) while the hot ones are "chilli/chillies" (double L) or "chilli peppers".

In the United States, the common heatless species is referred to as "bell peppers," "sweet peppers," "red/green/etc peppers," or simply "peppers", while the hot species are collectively called "chile/chiles," "chili/chilies," or "chili/chile peppers" (one L only), "hot peppers", or named as a specific variety (e.g., banana pepper). In many midwestern regions of the United States the Sweet Bell Pepper is commonly called a mango.[1] With the modern advent of fresh tropical fruit importers exposing a wider latitude of individuals to the tropical fruit variety of the Mango, this definition is becoming archaic. However many menus still call a stuffed Bell Pepper a Mango.

The name "pepper" came into use because the plants were hot in the same sense as the condiment black pepper, Piper nigrum. But there is no botanical relationship with this plant, nor with Sichuan Pepper."

So, technically, thre's no winner to this argument. But capsicum sounds so pretentious to me, I have a hard time calling a regular bell pepper a capsicum. Like when I'm at Subway - I have to remember to call it capsicum because if I ask for peppers I get the ground up black stuff.

Just another example of he subtle differences.

3 Comments:

At 2:27 PM, Blogger Shaun said...

Yeah what's stranger is the fact that they call pepper spray "capsicum spray" down here on a lot of news reports, etc. when describing police activities.

Interesting note - I wrote an entry about peppers the other day on our blog.

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger Katie said...

Hey Shaun! As soon as I posted this I remembered that you'd done a post about it too! Obviously an issue for us Americans!!

 
At 6:27 AM, Blogger The Redhead said...

Are eggplants called "aubergines"?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home