Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Cirque du Soleil

Last Wednesday I went to Cirque du Soleil's Varekai, which is in Canberra for a few weeks. They've set their tents up right on the lake, but the National Library, which is about a 10 minute bike ride from my house. On my bike ride home from work I watched the tents going up over the last month.


The show is AMAZING! I've never seen Cirque du Soleil live and it was worth every penny. I ended up being 3 rows from the stage, so my views were great. These performers blew my mind. Particularly the twins from the UK on the aerial straps. And not just because they were PERFECT specimens of the male body, although that certainly didn't hurt! And if they're going to wear a costume that shows me everything, I feel no shame in taking it all in. :)



There's an Emmy-award winning reality show, The Fire Within, about the creation of Varekai, and apparently these twins (the Athertons) [not that I googled them or anything like that] feature prominently. My only dilemma - do I buy a copy here that is encoded region 4 or do I buy a copy from Amazon that's encoded region 1? I will eventually be back in the States and region 4 can't be played over there (unless I get a region-free player)? Maybe I'll see if I can rent it instead of buying it. Now there's a concept.

1 Comments:

At 3:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Katie!

Loved the 'Fire Within'. All filmed in Montreal. Phil would catch snippets and comment on the locales. Hopefully you can rent it.

Phil and I also saw Varekai in ATL for one of our anniversaries. I agree, it was great.

They were also in Vancouver last year and put up their big swirly tent near the waterfront. I thought it was a great addition to the landscape.

:) Sara

 

Post a Comment

<< Home