Monday, November 12, 2007

2 weeks to go!

In two weeks I'll be one day past my first trathlon.

This past weekend I got to spend a few days on a road bike that I'm borrowing from a friend of mine that has been doing triathlons for a while now. She actually did the Ironman in Port Macquarie this past April. And after one of our training sessions this weekend, I can't imagine the physical and mental aptitude it takes to take on something like that. But, I can tell you that having a road bike instead of a mountain bike makes a flipping WORLD of difference.

Not only can I lift up this road bike with one hand instead of the two hands it takes to pick up the mountain bike...but I finally felt like I was actually riding a bike rather than fighting the bike, which is how I've been feeling every single time I get on the mountain bike, even with new slick tires. So, I'm never going back, I swear.

I've got this bike for a month, which will take me through the first race and hopefully in that month I can save enough money to get myself my own road bike, or come up with a really good way to convince my friend to continue lending me her bike. I should be able to come up with something, right? Cause, seriously, it's a whole different experience. I actually went for an hour ride around the lake on Saturday morning before training because it felt so good!

On saturday we had our first transition training session. it was meant to be in the lake, to practice the swim to bike transition, but the lake was closed. Excuse me, what? Yep, the lake was closed because of contamination due to a sewage lake a few miles or so upstream. It was closed as a 'precaution' but I'm still not so sure that I even want to attempt getting into it in 2 weeks. Can the sun kill all the yucky stuff (that's the technical term) in 2 weeks?

So, since we couldn't swim, we did the bike to run transition. And I haven't felt concrete lactic acid legs like that since running 400m repeats in high school! Holy cow. And it took almost a full kilometer (I don't think in miles anymore!) to get my legs feeling somewhat normal. Oy.

But, I reckon this. I know I'm fit enough to do all these events and the biggest piece on the 25th will be the mental challenge to get through the transitions. I'm kind of looking forward to it. But I'm pretty apprehensive too.

1 Comments:

At 12:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you! I did my first triathlon (sprint) with a mountain bike and it was 16 mi of agony compared to the road bike I used on the next race. Plus - I don't think my tires were fully inflated on that first race. Perfect!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home