Friday, January 12, 2007

Ants, HEAT, and publications

I'm now living on the ground floor. I think that's code for "easy access for ants". The last few mornings Jen and I have woken up to ants roaming around the kitchen. This is despite efforts to clean up all dishes every night, seal away all sweet stuff (sugar, candy, honey). They are even in the fridge! Where, of course, they die relatively quickly, but come on! Ridiculous. And not what I like to deal with first thing in the morning. I think we are resorting to a chemical defense system this weekend - it's just not worth it.

It is HOT in Canberra. Hot and still. When I ride into work part of the ride is by the lake, and usually there's some wind, but this morning the lake was like glass. Perfectly still. Made me want to get in a shell and take advantage of it! I do see rowers on the lake each morning - and it always makes me think, "I gotta get on that", but then I don't. Ah well, eventually I'll get on the water again.

But anyway - the heat... it's a dry heat, and there truly is a difference between 38 degrees without humidity and 38 degrees with humidity. But, I gotta say, the sun is so damn intense down here, that, when you are in the sun, it doesn't really make a difference if there's humidity or not, because it's suffocating hot. Especially when there is no wind. Last night, Jen and I were lolling around the living room - and we were literally lolling - it was so still and heavy. We thought about turning the AC on, but we decided to just deal. We watched "Sweet Home Alabama" for distraction. Mission accomplished. BTW, I LOVE Reese's hair in that movie!

But, yeah, the sun is crazy intense. So it helps to stay in the shade, obviously, but, sometimes it can't be avoided. I need to buy a hat, even it is daggy.*

In other news, my first first-author publication came out last week! It's work I did at CDC, on infants and Campylobacter infections. It's quite satisfying to see the work in its published format.

It's Friday here, and I am definitely looking forward to the weekend. Not really sure what I'll get up to, but it'll be good to sleep in for a couple of days!

*daggy - nerdy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home