Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Stupid bike!

I'm sure the title of this post should actually be Stupid Katie... but I'm preferring to blame my current ills on the bike.

On Saturday morning I dislocated my left shoulder.

OUCH. OUCH. OUCH. OUCH. OUCH.

I was trying out my new cleats and pedals (racing cleats, that are attached to the bike) and lost my balance. I stopped my fall with my left arm, in the locked position, which dislocated my shoulder.

I've been drugged up the last few days since the doctor popped it back in. It is just like the movies - the doctor distracting me so that he can put me into a ridiculous amount of pain to get the shoulder back in place.

Luckily the olympics are on, so I've not ben bored on the couch, however 2 days straight is all I can take of Seven's coverage. Not comparable to NBC's repackaging of the olympics, and we're only 2 hours ahead of Beijing! I miss Bob Costas, Bart Conner's insightful gymnastics commentary, and John William's olympic music. In fact, I miss commentators that actually know what they are talking about. Aussies are good at swimming, and sailing, and traiathlon... but the commentators for the other sports sound like me - clueless.


Anyway, what is it they say about falling off a horse??? Not sure I'll be on the bike anytime soon though.

4 Comments:

At 4:19 AM, Blogger gt88 said...

Sorry to hear about your shoulder. We have all fallen as a result of clipless pedals. In a race once (cyclocross) my cleat lost a bolt on one side so when I went to clip out the cleat just rotated and I stayed attached - big crash into the barriers. The rest of the race I tryed to not clip in on my left but did accidentally twice and crash some more and more spectatularly until the cleat finnaly removed itself from the shoe. Keep at it - it gets easier.

Jed

 
At 4:20 AM, Blogger gt88 said...

oh boy, I am a bad speller :|

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Katie said...

sounds like a great race - more like a pinball going from obstacle to obstacle! Oy. It better get easier!!!

 
At 1:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've done this too. No dislocated shoulder, but a giant dose of embarrassment and a somewhat fantastic scar on the back of my leg.

I was on East Ponce in Clarkston (I had to look this up, I forgot all Atlanta street names.) I was on my road bike, coming back from Stone Mountain. I stopped at a stop sign and couldn't get my right foot out of the cleat. Over I tipped. It felt like I fell in slow motion. In addition to a giant bruise, the back of my leg was torn by the bike gears. Lovely scar. I rode home to Decatur bloody and bright red.

But I still love the clipless pedals.

I hope your feeling better soon. I was wondering what the time difference was between you and Beijing. I'm sorry Bob Costas isn't there to keep you company. Hopefully Michael Phelps is helping fill that gap.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home