Friday, January 25, 2008

What a choice

So, I got a place. It really wasn't that stressful at all. It was the third place I looked at. It's a house in a neighboring suburb with 2 other public servant types. I'm looking forward to a change. I know I'll miss my own bathroom, new kitchen, and a housemate who's hardly here, but I think I'm ready for something different. And it's 2 guys. I haven't lived with guys since early days in Atlanta. Ought to be interesting!

I was watching the local news the other night and they were doing a viewer poll for peoples opinions on late night shopping. Now, those of you in the US of A, where things are open ALL the time, may be shaking your heads in puzzlement. Late-night shopping? Is this a new consept? Is this something worth having an opinion on?

Well, let me assure you, it is.

In Oz, almost everything closes at 5p. On the dot. Making it REALLY hard to do errands after work, unless you're a shift worker. There are a few 24 hour grocery stores around and if somethings going to be open late, it's a groery store. But everything else closes at 5. Hence, late-night shopping. Stores stay open to 9, malls are open late... it feels like, well, home.

In Canberra, late-night shoping is Friday night. Everywhere else in Oz, it's Thursday night. So, there are movements afoot to switch Canberra late-night to Thursday too.

Enthralling, isn't it? I wonder how they'll ever make the decision?

I'm sure there are good reasons for and against Thursday versus Friday late-night shopping, but it just makes me laugh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home