Tuesday, January 20, 2009

It's summertime!

I'm back in Canberra and it's summertime! How awesome is that? It's so nice.

Got in on Sunday, welcomed back by Steve, Wendy, Kate, and Frances - I felt quite overwhelmed at their excitment to have me back. It's nice to be loved. I managed to stay up till 8pm that night so I've successfully staved off jetlag - and am right back into training mode, which helps get my sleep back to normal. Swam last night, trying not to think about the fact that I'll be swimming in the lake on Sunday morning and then have to ride and then have to bike! Ought to be a good time!!

I had a great holiday. I can't remember the last time I had a month off, let alone a month at home in Alameda, with no obligations. :)

----------------------
Favorite bits:
The new movie theatre in Alameda, which is done in art deco and is a 10 minute walk from my mom's house.

The red afghan in the front room, just perfect for curling up under with a book in the front window with Ichabod, my mom's cat.

Ichabod, the best lap cat ever!

Burritos from Taqueria and ice cream from Tucker's, both a 10 minute walk from the house.

American grocery stores - Trader Joe's and Safeway, and American pharmacies - Long's and Walgreen's and CVS (in Atlanta). Nothing compares.

There's a Borders in Alameda!!!

Bike rides with my brother in law - the man who got me to ride with my cleats in about 5 minutes!

Seeing my sister EVERY day. Wish that happened all the time.

Eating breakfast with my mom - usually homemade waffles. Yummo! And I don't even regret having a 'waffle' belly now - it was worth it!!

A welcome home party for my brother and his wife; spending time with them, marvelling at their strength over the last year.

New Year's with Maggie and Jed.

Shopping at REI, Target, Nordstrom Rack, Nine West Outlet. Too much good stuff, but when my running shoes cost 1/3 the price over here, how can I not buy 2 pairs?

----------------------------

I've decided to come home this year, back to Atlanta, aiming to be back in Atlanta in September. As much as I love the people in Canberra, it's time to go home.

So, that leaves 7 months to do all I can, and for any of you out there thinking of visiting - you better get a move on!

4 Comments:

At 1:26 PM, Blogger Maggie said...

Wow, you must walk incredibly fast when I am not slowing you down. I don't think I've ever managed to get from Mom's to Park St in 10 minutes. ;)

 
At 3:52 AM, Blogger Douglas Fullerton said...

The visit was fun Katie - I'm glad you figured out when you want to come back to the states!

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger Katie said...

eh... 10-15-20... somewhere in that ballpark!

 
At 7:11 AM, Blogger Maggie said...

Jed thought I was being silly and said, it takes about 10 minutes! I said, more like 12 or 13, and he conceded. So you see I really am splitting hairs. It doesn't take 10 minutes, but it also doesn't take 15 minutes.

Aren't you glad I am out here parsing every word you write? :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home