Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Week 9

Well, things have gone a bit pear-shaped with my training. I took weeks 6 and 7 off for my left leg shin splints. Week 8 I started running again, with new shoes. The first couple of runs were okay, but after the long run on Sunday (11 - it was supposed to be 14) I now have even more painful shin splints in my right leg. It is VERY frustrating. I've continued icing and stretching, and wearing the compression calf socks from Olga. I went to Kaiser this morning and got a referral for a physical therapist - my appt is on Thursday morning. I"m pretty sure the answer is going to be stopping running altogether (goodbye marathon) for a while, and hopefully some massage.

I know I should be okay with just doing the half, but I really want to do the full. Aside from my shin splints, I feel great! (I know, that doesn't really make sense...) Group swim sessions started for ATC on Monday and I did a run over lunch and then the swim session, which was great - I love swimming, and I love working out twice a day. But I really need to listen to my body - which right now says to stop walking, let alone running. :(

So I may have to shift focus to a fall marathon rather than a spring marathon. (October in SF is good, I hear!)

But seriously, mentally I'm a more than a bit bummed about my running being impaired. Last week once I started running again I realised how much I missed it in the previous 2 weeks - spin and rowing and swimming just don't take the place of a good run outside. So, I need to get these legs in fighting shape again!

2 Comments:

At 3:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Katie's shins: Loosen up! Have you tried yoga? Or maybe some Winter Olympic watching will help.

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger Katie said...

Definitely the Olympic watching!!! The best treatment. I have to stay off of running for a while to stretch out my calves and get some flexibility in my ankles. So no spring running for me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home