Monday, August 09, 2010

Loaded

What a day.

Started with brunch at Chateau Elan (fancy!) for a dear friend.

Then my friend Sharon and I went to see Restrepo. We got out 5 hours ago and I'm still recovering. Intense documentary about one platoon's deployment in Afghanistan. Which is where my brother is, on deployment. Halfway through the movie, as the climactic operation was being described and shown, I just started crying and trembling uncontrollably. Tears rolling down my face. It was a lot to take in. But I recommend the movie to anyone and everyone. I sat in my car for about 10 minutes just staring blindly out the window before I could drive home.

I came home and watched an hour or so of Friends - just to escape from my head.

Then I made dinner - a new meal for me - quinoa with chickpeas, tomatoes, green onions and a fingerhot pepper. I also tried to make roasted kale like my friend Elizabeth made a few weeks ago, but I burned it to a crisp. Oops.

Then I watched No Impact Man. Which makes me think, in a whole different way from the earlier movie.

Now I"m listening to EmmyLou Harris (Wrecking Ball) and Willie Nelson (Teatro) and thinking of the guy who introduced me to these albums, and wondering where he is and what might have been.

All in all a satisfying day, but full of loaded emotions.

Unrelated to this... my goals for the coming week:
1. Ride my bike to work at least 3 days this week (I'd like to do all 5, but I'm trying to be realistic). And for the record, this was a goal before I watched No Impact Man tonight.
2. Swim at least twice.
3. Eat out only once (lunch). (I'll work on dinner habits next week...)
4. Remove tree limbs from the backyard and put them on the curb for pickup.

2 Comments:

At 5:07 PM, Blogger MARiA said...

That's why I don't watch movies like that during deployments... I don't even let my mind go there. Instead I go to youtube and watch video compilations of soldiers coming home to surprise their families~

 
At 5:13 PM, Blogger MARiA said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSMlIM9zLio

Like this one. You'll still want Kleenex, but in a good way ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home