Tuesday, January 30, 2007

The chemical trail...

It's like I'm in a basic biology class again... ants DO use a chemical/pheremone trail to communicate and until I break that trail I can just keep vacuuming them up to my heart's content.

Before I went to bed last night, I realized this so I doused my door frame and the floor with my floor cleaner which is like 90% eucalyptus oil. It seems to have done the trick as I was ant free this morning.

And Fred suggested baby powder, which I will use tonight to complete the job. Whew.

1 Comments:

At 10:01 PM, Blogger Shaun said...

Hi Katie... just cleaning out some old mail and saw your website address. If it makes you feel better - you're not the only one that is er, uhm... obsessed with antocide. We live on the third floor and still get regular invasions. Kristen goes outside regularly to spray, and also stands vigil with the vacuum on weekends. It's like she's daring them to come in. They once formed a steady line from the balcony, up the wall, across the ceiling, all the way to the other side of our apartment (about 30 feet) into our pantry where there was a jar of peanut butter with the lid loosely screwed on. We had an entomologist (specializing in ants) staying with us for a few weeks last year that advised us to use paprika as a deterrent, and said to make sure you clean up the dead ones because ants come back to retrieve their dead (or at least mark them). Hang in there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home