Friday, June 01, 2007

Footy

In the last couple of months I've attended live footy twice. One game was Rugby Union (called Rugby - as opposed to Rugby Leauge, which is called Leauge - more about their differences later), and the other was Aussie Rules Football (AFL). AFL is by far my favorite. And NOT just because the guys are really good-looking. AFL, as opposed to either type of rugby, adheres to a decipherable set of rules. Rugby, both types, are confusing as heck. I think I could goto 15 more live games and still not know what the heck was going on. And, as far as I can tell, leauge and rugby differ mainly by one rule that requires one version of the game to put the ball on the ground and touch it with their foot before it can be passed. I have no idea which type that rule applies to, and even weirder - in all rugby, the ball can't be passed forward - it can only travel backwards. But the players travel forward. Yeah. What?!

Anyway... AFL is a pretty cool game to watch live, there are like 20 people from each team on the oval and they all run around all over the place for the whole game - 4 20 minute periods. Anyone out there that knows differently - I welcome your comments - this is what I've gleaned so far in my 'footy education'.

The AFL game was played at the Manuka Oval, which is a 15 minute walk from my house. It seats about 15,000 people and was nearly sold out for this game. Canberra used to have their own AFL team, the Kangaroos, but no more. So, the Sydney Swans are the next closest team, and when they play at the Manuka Oval, they are the home team. They played the Melbourne Western Bulldogs. The Swans kicked ass - 100 to 31. I'd try to explain the scoring, but it would take too much typing.

It was a gorgeous day, in fact I even got burned a little - sitting in the cheap, uncovered seats. The Swans are red and white, as you can see from the crowd. I felt downright out of lace with no red on.





At half-time TONS of little kids took to the field...AusKIDS - co-ed AFL for primary school age kids. During half-time there were about 6 different games going on.

VIDEO COMING SOON

I had a great time, and will be coming home with a Sydney Swans scarf for sure.

About a month ago I went to a Brumbies game (rugby). As I said before, I DO NOT understand rugby and probably ever will. The Brumbies (which is a wild horse that roams around the Snowy Mountains) lay at Canberra Stadium, which seats about 30,000. It's a much bigger venue, but still so different from any baseball stadium at home... all the food stalls are tents, and it's just a smaller, more amatuer feeling lace. Of course, I'm comparing it to Turner Field, which isn't really in the same ballpark (no pun attended). And footy food is nothing like baseball food. It's sausages and chips with sauce (fries and ketchup). No chili cheese fries, no 15 versions of hot dogs. It's a different world over here, I tell you.

The Brumbies are ble and yellow, as you can see below. You'll also notice that it's night, and raining. A very different experience from the AFL game last weekend.




This is an injured player on the field

At half-time, a helicopter (I should know what type.. but I don't) came into the stadium and hovered, lowered a guy who picked up another guy and then flew away. That's probably the closest I've ever been to a hovering helicopter before. It was pretty cool. And sort of casual.. there were a few announcements before half-time, "Ladies and gentlemen, there will be a helicopter demonstration at half-time, There will be a strong downdraft, so please hold onto your personal belongings".

VIDEO COMING SOON

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home