Thursday, June 28, 2007

I can't help but feel sorry

that the poor people of Australia think that Old El Paso is real Mexican food.

I'm listening to some co-workers in the next bay over from me talk about the wonder that is 7-layer dip. This guy is seriously enthusiastic about it, which I can understand, but as he's describing how he makes it (the authentic way, he claims) I can't help but shake my head. There's just no understanding of Mexican food here. First off, you can't even have Mexican food without proper cheese and salsa. It just ISN'T possible. Tasty cheese is not cheddar cheese. Old El Paso salsa is not real salsa. And a 7 layer dip without black beans and Tostitos? Come on. And with green and red cocktail onions? No.

I was actually thinking of making a 7-layer dip for 4th of July next week, but I don't have any more cans of Herdez and am loathe to make it with taco powder. But, I may have to make do. And - it is a problem that there are no Tostitos in this country. At least not in Canberra. I'll bet Old El Paso makes a corn chip, but it's just not the same!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home