Tuesday, June 19, 2007

F-U-double L

Something little I noticed yesterday at work. When Aussies spell out names or give out numbers, every time there's a double letter or number, they say it that way.

For example, my last name, oh sorry, surname... is not F-U-L-L-E.... it's F-U-double L-E...
My first name is not K-A-T-H-L-E-E-N, it's K-A-T-H-L-double E-N.

It's not 6289 8332, it's 6289 8 double 3 2.

It ay not seem like a big thing, but it usually trips me up... when someone reads back my name to me (like Qantas Business Travel) my brain is listening until the double and then it takes a split second to comprehend. It's especially weird when I'm taking phone messages for co-workers ad the person on the other end rattles off their phone number with a 'double' in the middle of it.

It always trips me up, but I've noticed that I now spell my surname out loud that way... F-U-double L... and who says I'm not assimilating??

1 Comments:

At 1:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So that must mean that the saying, "H-E- double toothpicks" that we used to say as kids must have come from down under. If it had come from the US it would have been "H-E-toothpick-toothpick".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home