Monday, January 14, 2008

Duathlon and soccer

Yesterday was the second triathlon of the summer series. But, since the lake was closed due to pollution with blue-green algae (ick!) the triathlon became a duathlon, which means the first swim leg is replaced with a run. I decided to do the long course, for more of a challenge. It was a 2.5K run, a 20K ride, then a 5K run.

I gotta be honest, I LOVED it.

It took me an hour, 23 minutes, which I was stoked with - I'd predicted 1:30 or 1:45. I felt like I was just hitting my stride at 1:20 - that I could keep going. I'm glad I didn't have to, but I felt like I could have! The bike leg is my least favorite, but it wasnt too bad. I'm borrowing a bike from some friends, and I've been trying to ride more, so that I don't hate it as much as I did. Im just stoked that my 5K time was around 25 minutes, and that's after the first run and ride - interval work really does make a difference in speed, even in longer distances. The transition from bike to run is hard, and it took almost 1K until my legs felt normal again on the run - gotta practice that transition a bit more!

And, technically, this distance is still considered a sprint, because the regular, or Olympic distance, for a tri is 1.5K swim, 40K ride, 10K run. Maybe by the end of the summer I'll do that. :)

After the race I chilled out, went to a birthday bbq, and then layed indoor soccer. I haven't played soccer in ages because of my training for tri, but yesterday I was around and so played. Needless to say I was a bit exhausted afterwards, but it was good to get on the field again - I do miss the soccer!

Here's my indoor team (the Spit Rods) [pics of the duathlon to come]:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home