Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Real connections

I was talking with my friend F the other day - we went to coffee after soccer (I watched, didn't play...) and we were talking about friends and moving and living in new places. She is from NZ and lived in London for 2 years and has been in Canberra for 3. She made a really good point about people you meet - that when you move someplace, it's not usually the first set of people that you meet that you actually become friends with. Had I been in possession of that little insight I think (maybe?) my transisiton would have been a little easier, since I wouldn't have spent time wondering why it wasn't working with the people I was meeting. Cause it really was a self-esteem blow to meet people who weren't really interested. Now that I know people that are interested in being friends with me (they like me, they like me!!) - with whom I have that 'click' - it's like I'm back to feeling like me again. Cause I certainly haven't felt like ME in a long time. It's so important to have people genuinely interested and who care for you.

And I remember that when I first moved to Atlanta - I met tons of people and it is rough sort of waiting to see who you really click with and who you actually become friends with. And, truly, it just takes time. 10 months into my time here (like I'm serving a sentence?) I can see that, but MAN was it dark for a while. And not that it's all perfect now, but it is quite amazing the difference a few friends can really make.

I hung out a lot with my new soccer team this weekend and it was like a combination of my New Year's crowd and the Schmucks - we played soccer in the morning (again, I just watched) and then went to K and R's house and played board games all afternoon. We played Clue (called Cluedo here - say what??), Taboo, Buzz (a trivia game on playstation) and a game of Risk was started around 3pm. K made curry for everyone and it was really one of the best afternoons I've had in Canberra (since my afternoon with M from Perth).

It's all about making a real connection with people who take you as you are. So invaluable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home