Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Why I'll be waking up every 2 hours tonight



I know it's hard to tell in the picture - but I've done a doozy to myself. A grade 2 sprain on my right ankle. I'm getting x-rays tomorrow morning to make sure I haven't fractured the bone. Good times.

I'd like to tell you a great story about how i rolled it in an awesome soccer move that resulted in a goal, but alas, I can't. I DID score 2 freaking awesome goals (if I do say so myself) in indoor soccer this past Sunday night, one right after the other, but that's beside the point - and now unlikely to happen again for 4-6 weeks.

I really wanted to see Knocked Up tonight after work. I've heard it's really good and Tuesday night is half price movie night in Canberra. So, I got home, made dinner, and left for the cinema. It's about a 20 minute walk up to the cinema and I decided to run the last 5 mins since I was a little late. Not to meet anyone, I was going alone. No, my ankle is fu&^%d because I didn't want to miss the previews! I crossed the street ad started to run. On my second step I thought to myself - I should be careful, it's dark and I'm not wearing good shoes to run and I may trip, right as I rolled off the sidewalk and HIT the ground.

It's been a while since I rolled an ankle, but holy crap. I went light-headed, couldn't stand, and started sobbing on the sidewalk, in the dark. I didn't even have my mobile phone to call my housemate to come get me. And it happened because I didn't want to miss previews! How stupid is that?????

I walked home, sobbing the whole way, put an ankle brace and ice on and after about 30 minutes Jen decided we were going to the medical centre - the non Medicare emergency department (without Medicare coverage, it would have cost me $371 to go to the private hospital ed. Yikes. So I paid $70 for the public medical centre). We waited for 90 minutes than I got to see the nicest doctor. He'd just been to CA with his wife and we talked CDC, running, soccer, CA. His first reaction after I got all the wrapping off was " this is a major injury and you saved yourself 3 weeks of recovery with your first aid" Yay for the justification of the trip to the medical centre and to me for actually having an ankle brace (from high school!!), an ice pack, and an ACE bandage in my house. The only bad thing was the ibuprofen I took, since that increases bleeding. So I'm now taking a codeine derivative. :)

Anyway - he said I'll be out of commission for 4-6 weeks, but the nice thing about Oz is that I can just go to a sports physio tomorrow, without a referral, and get physical therapy help to recover. Yay! So, tomorrow I'm getting x-rays (the doctor says I've probably torn both ligaments over the ankle bone and I may have chipped a piece off the bone in the process - YIKES) and then to the physio. And until then, RICE - and icing every 2 hours. Well see if I can make it through a night of icing every 2 hours. I may just not hear my timer go off!

I'm definitey bummed - I've been ramping up my sports recently - classes 3X a week at the gym, soccer twice on the weekend, and 2 runs a week. I've just registered to run the City 2 Surf, a 14K in Sydney in 4 weeks. I probably won't be doing that! Crapola. I was even contemplating taking a fencing class for a few weeks!

1 Comments:

At 3:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ufdah! Hey, at least it's winter.
I hope it's not broken and all your rehab goes splendidly well. You'll be active again before you know it.

When you're able to, hobble back to movie theatre - or better yet, maybe take a taxi - and see Knocked Up. I think you'll like it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home