Monday, September 29, 2008

Flower time

I spent yesterday afternoon at Floraide, Canberra's flower festival that takes place every spring - the theme this year was Australian Films. Basically it's a riot of color and flowers in Commonwealth Park, and the flower displays are set up to represent whatever the theme is. Hard to really tell unless you can get above the displays, which you can't.



I went last year with Maggie and Jed - hard to believe that was a year ago that they were here! I went my first weekend in Canberra too, back in 2006 - it was a yucky, grey, rainy day then - yesterday was gorgeous - even hot. Although, I'd just come back from Darwin, so it wasn't that hot! But it was hot for Canberra.









The Captain Cook Memorial fountain in Lake Burley-Griffin


Sunset in Darwin


Since I was only in Darwin for 2 nights (well, one and a half, given the red-eye flight back on Friday, I didn't do too much. Thursday night I went to the Mindil Beach Markets and had the best 3-chilli paw-paw salad (papaya salad) I've ever had and the most gorgeous mango for dessert. Yummy! On Friday night I went to their outdoor cinema (The Deckchair Cinema) and watched Death-Proof - a Quentin Tarantino grindhouse film. First grindhouse movie I've seen - I liked it.

3 Comments:

At 8:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're sounding so local. Very Aussie. Is a doona a duvet?

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Maggie said...

I can't believe it's been a year since we were at Floriade with you!!

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger Katie said...

A doona is a comforter, which I think is a duvet. I remember having discussions about the difference between a duvet and a duvet-cover... there's just too many words to describe the blanket you sleep under.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home