Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Superbowl... Monday?

I took the day off yesterday, to watch the Superbowl. I'm not a huge Colts or Bears fan (but I'm very glad that the Colts won - good for Peyton, good for Dungy, and good that they recovered from a shaky start after Hester's return in the first 10 seconds) - but I decided I wanted to watch the game. It was televised live on Fox Sports and I mistakenly thought that meant I would also get to see the ads... but nope - the only ads I saw were for cricket and rugby. I guess that makes sense, why show US ads to an Aussie audience? However, it does make for a changed experience.

I watched the game at the Eastlake Football Club, which is about 5 minutes from my house. This is a club for 'members only' - I paid $2 to become a member - and they have numerous plasma TVs, a bar, gambling (machines and paper-based, like Lotto I think?) There was one other American couple there, in Canberra for another month finishing up an internship at a local winery. I didn't even get their names, despite having sat next to them and briefly chatting for 5 hours. Whatever.

Last Year:
1. Surrounded by friends
2. Great food - dips, Ash's white chili, bbq chicken, real chips (tortilla) and 7-layer dip
3. Volume!
4. Ads
5. Good conversation in the downtime
6. Winning some money for randomly picking the final digits of the first quarter score (or was it the halftime score? I can't remember).

This year:
1. Sitting in a club with 4 other people. 2 were American, 2 were Aussies, loudly wondering why you'd even watch a game like football. I didn't have enough energy to argue with them.
2. Lame fish and chips for lunch after half-time
3. For some reason the volume seemed really low on the TV we were watching. And there was construction going on, so half the game was drowned out by drilling. Again, I didn't have enough desire to request a volume increase.
4. No ads from home. Just the same ads for rugby and cricket and the same 2 car ads, for the Nissan (pronounced nisen over here) and the Jeep. I did get to see the half-time show, but it was pretty crappy if you ask me. Isn't there usually more than one artist that performs?
5. Okay conversation with the other Americans who were from New Orleans. You'd have thought there'd be more connection there, and I feel like I tried, but they didn't seem interested in anything more than idle game chit-chat.
6. Not winning any money.

I sort of wished I hadn't bothered to watch the game. It was definitely a let-down to see it over here, and I wished I could have found a place to watch it that had a few more people, but again, my desire to stretch out of my narrow comfort zone, which is pretty small right now, is about nil.

1 Comments:

At 12:38 PM, Blogger jmn said...

Hey Katie- Hang in there!! I know that it's hard right now. The new is starting to wear off and reality is starting to set in. Just think of the days when you first moved to Atlanta. I'm sure it was pretty tough then as well. Then you made a few friends and more after that. Then Atlanta seemed more like home, whereas you still had a place in your heart for Alameda Cnty. It's NEVER easy moving to a new place. I remember when I was first in MN for college. After coming home to GA on break, I would bawl the whole plan ride back to school. That was until I met my friends. Those friends, including Scott, are my closest friends to this day. Regardless, it still took 2 years for me to be excited to come back to school after being around the comforts of home (yes, there are some major differences between MN and GA....no sweet tea, warm weather, etc.). Anyway, I realize that words can't really help but hang in there. Just try to keep yourself busy with work and meeting new friends. Before you know it, you'll add AU to your list of homes. Miss you tons!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home